7.. THE PLENARY IN THE PARISH - 12 Sept
THE PLENARY IN THE PARISH
The first Plenary Council Assembly will be held between October 2nd and 10th. Due to Covid restrictions, its format will be multi-modal online. The second Assembly will be held in Sydney from 4th to 9th July 2022.
As we move ever closer to the first Plenary Meeting much is happening:
- In North Sydney Parish, a group including Father Andy Nguyen is planning a number of activities and opportunities. THE PLENARY IN THE PARISH will appear in the Bulletin and on the Website.
- The website includes a recent email from Sister Jo Brady RSJ of the Plenary about opportunities to watch some of The Plenary Meeting and the most recent report on Plenary views from the people of the Sydney Archdiocese.
A REFRESHER ( from Jan Brady)
In October 2021 the Catholic Church in Australia will gather for the first Assembly of the Plenary Council to be held since the Second Vatican Council. The Plenary Council is being held so that we can dialogue about the future of the Catholic Church in Australia and discern what God is asking of us in Australia at the present time.
In 2018 when the decision to hold the Plenary Council was announced, the entire People of God in Australia began preparing for this historic moment by listening to God and by listening to one another’s stories of faith.
The discernment journey began with the Listening and Dialogue Phase, followed by the Listening and Discernment Phase, and led to six national themes for discernment:
How is God calling us to be a Christ-centred Church in Australia that is:
- Missionary and Evangelising?
- Inclusive, Participatory and Synodal?
- Prayerful and Eucharistic?
- Humble, Healing and Merciful?
- a Joyful, Hope-filled and Servant Community.
- Open to Conversion, Renewal and Reform.
PLEASE PRAY FOR THE FORTHCOMING PLENARY COUNCIL
In the words of this special prayer noting that we are on a pilgrim journey which we hope will be transformative.